We Prepare Tax Returns!

We prepare most type of tax returns:


S Corporation.

C Corporation.




Gary Bode, CPA is a Master's Degreed, nation wide accountant offering tax and business services. Member of AICPA and NCACPA. Our virtual office provides excellent service to long distance and international clients. Call (910) 399-2705 for a free phone consult.

Client Video Testimonials

Click here to watch some of our clients in their video testimonials!

Client Testimonials

I used Gary’s services to file my 2012 income tax return. This was my first year having an accountant do my return, as I have always done it myself using TurboTax. However, this year I had cancelled debt from my old primary residence which I was forced to convert to a rental property after relocating out of state.

While it didn’t cost me anything to do the short sale, the income tax consequence from the cancelled debt, roughly $50,000 in my case, was enough to move me from the 15% tax bracket to the 25% tax bracket.  Needless to say, I was concerned about that.

Finances were already tight and my husband and I are expecting our first child this fall. So the possibility of owing income tax was stressing me out. However, Gary was great at relieving my fears.

He is extremely knowledgeable, answered all my questions and was very thorough. I knew I was in good hands. He kept in constant contact with me throughout the process, keeping me updated on the progress of my return and letting me know what paperwork he needed to complete my filing.

In my mind, best case scenario would have been to not owe any taxes. Second best would be to only owe a little. Well, you can imagine my surprise and delight when Gary told me I was actually due a refund of a little over $2,700.00!

To top it all off, I found Gary’s fee for service to be fair, competitive and affordable; especially given the complexity of this type of return. I am so glad I did not try and go it alone this year. I am extremely pleased with Gary’s service and would recommend him highly to anyone, in fact I already have. If you have cancelled debt from a short sale or foreclosure, don’t freak out. Take a deep breath and call or email Gary. I am grateful I did.

Angie Falke of Holiday, FL

Free Consult

Even though Gary enjoys helping colleagues, we no longer provide free consults to other tax preparers. He's happy to consult on an hourly billing basis if our schedule allows.

Pay Your CPA

Enter $ Below
Other Amount:
Your Email Address:

Back Tax CPA discusses IRS Notice CP 90 – Final Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing

back tax cpa wilmington nc discusses IRS Notice CP 90

Gary Bode, CPA: IRS Notice CP 90 probably deserves CPA attention. For a free initial phone consult, call 399-2705.

Back tax CPAs take IRS Notice CP 90 seriously. By the time CP 90 arrives, the IRS probably has a federal lien in place. This instantly kills your credit. The IRS will levy you in 30 days! Generally they start with wage garnishment, which is embarrassing and annoys employers. CPAs think of IRS Notice CP 90 as the end game in chess. Make every move count.

Actions a Back Tax CPA might take to Counter Notice CP-90

I’m happy to discuss steps I might take, as a CPA, to counter, or at least mitigate, CP-90.  But you can’t reasonably rely on this post or website alone for advice. Why? Your particular circumstances have to be factored in.

Related posts:

In no particular order:

  • Make sure all back tax returns are filed with the IRS. Sometimes you can invoke an economic hardship case with the IRS. This could delay, indefinitely, when they’ll levy. But all your back tax returns have to be filed first.  And you have to prove that levying would destroy your family’s stability.
  • Don’t assume the IRS figures are correct, especially if you have unfiled back tax returns. Notice CP-90 only presents their version.
  • Try to get a local IRS Agent assigned to the case. This is different from calling them and speaking to a Rep. You can receive Notice CP-90 and still be their Automated Collection System. An Agent can cut through all that red tape.
  • Hire an experienced CPA, us, if don’t already have one. Usually the IRS is happy there is a professional to work with and allows us additional time to prepare your case. Few cases with professional representation proceed as far as Notice CP 90.
  • The IRS must follow their own rules. Read Publication 594, What You Should Know About The IRS Collection Process. Any back tax CPA would tell you it pays to watch them. They’re not malicious. But, while you have recourse against violations, it may be too late to actually help you.
  • File Form 12153, Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing, if the IRS demand is incorrect. Be very sure they are, in fact, not correct!
  • Read Publication 1660, Collection Appeal Rights, in case you lose the Collection Due Process Hearing.
  • Make an Offer in Compromise, IRS Form 656. Don’t use one of those late night TV offer mills, or least read our posts on actions the government has taken against them. However, an Offer in Compromise takes time and expertise. But the IRS delays the levy while they are considering it.
  • Setup an Installment Agreement with the IRS.
  • Pay the IRS in full. I understand this is unrealistic. But sometimes families will help. You might have equity in your home to tap.
  • Call the Taxpayer Advocate.
  • Think about re-structuring your finances after CP 90 consequences play out.
  • Consider bankruptcy. Talk to an attorney. Generally you can’t discharge taxes through bankruptcy. And if it is possible, timing is crucial. The threat of bankruptcy might make your IRS Agent amenable to other alternatives listed above.

We’re a back tax CPA firm in Wilmington NC. But our virtual office allows us to offer excellent service to long distance and international clients. Please read any of our posts to help gauge our expertise and proactive philosophy. We offer a free initial phone consult. (910) 399-2705

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>